Pregnant and Hoping for a…

Pregnant and Hoping for a…

By Melanie Monroe Rosen

girlorboy Pregnant and Hoping for a…As the mom of two boys (ages 3 and 5) who is pregnant with my third (and final) baby, virtual strangers feel pretty free to ask me if I’m hoping for a girl this time around. And honestly, my answer is, um, yes. We’ll go for the 20-week anatomy scan in just over a week from now, and while having a healthy baby is obviously what is most important, having a healthy baby girl sure would be nice this time around.

Of course I’m crazy about my sons, and I‘m delighted to be their mom. I love that our house isn’t overtaken by pink plastic crap (instead it’s blue plastic crap, which goes vastly better with our decor, thankyouverymuch) and that I don’t constantly stumble over Barbie accessories in the middle of the night on my way to the bathroom for the umpteenth time (instead it’s LEGO pieces—and actually, maybe I take that one back—those things are murder on bare feet!). And I know that if I can’t raise a strong young woman of my own, my job is to raise young men who know to treat women with respect—and who always remember to put the toilet seat back down.

All joking aside though, if I’m honest, although I know I’ll be just fine as the mom of three sons (and like my son’s preschool teacher says, “You get what you get, and you don’t get upset”—which is a good reminder to me during the ultrasound next week, lest—like last time—I punch my husband when they announce the sex), I would really love a daughter. Yes, OK, it’s partially just for the clothes—but it’s also for that awesome mother-daughter bond I see my friends share with their daughters, like the one I shared with my mom, who passed away from breast cancer three years ago. There’s just nothing like that connection.

For the time being, I’m just assuming we’re having another boy, as there have only been boys born into my husband’s family for the past several generations. Well, that and just dreamily loading up my online shopping carts with girlie-everything in case I can click “Buy” following the ultrasound next week…

Did you ever really hope for one sex or the other? For a first baby or only for subsequent ones?

♥        ♥         ♥         ♥

melanie Pregnant and Hoping for a…Melanie Monroe Rosen is a Brooklyn-based freelance writer and mom of two boys, ages 3 and 5, who is currently expecting her third (and very much final) baby in early 2013. A former senior editor at Parenting.com, Melanie was surprised to discover that all of her experience breastfeeding, homebirthing, babywearing, co-sleeping, and cloth diapering actually counted as professional experience. She’s a big fan of reading both Scandinavian mystery novels (to herself) and favorite chapter books from her childhood, like those by Roald Dahl (to her kids).

Comments

I wanted a girl.
    My grandmother who I was extremely close to had passed away a couple years prior I wanted a girl to be her namesake and I just felt like it would be a piece of my Grandmother. My grandfather was very ill and wanted a little girl before he died to be named after her as well.
    He passed a couple weeks before she was born, but he knew his wife’s name would live on.

I would have been fine with a boy, but I definitely had a preference, My little girl was born and given my Grandmothers name as her middle name =) I consider it an honor that I was blessed with a girl to name after her!

My husband wished for a boy on the first one… Mostly because he knew it was almost impossible since he has 5 sisters. It was a girl which he was ok with because he said all he knows are girls anyhow! On the second one on the way to the ultrasound to check gender I asked what he was wishing for… he said a girl.. I was confused but he said “I wanted a boy until we had our daughter and she is so amazing. I love how sweet she is and how much she loves her daddy. Another little girl would be amazing too… After seeing friends boys and how wild and crazy they are I kinda like playing tea party and all the quiet girl activities.” Our second is a girl and we aren’t trying for another in hopes of getting a boy (which is the question we get ALL the time!)

3. Jessica says

I have five kids, my first a girl when I was very young and I do feel fortunate for her but that was a difficult time in my life. I wanted so very much for her to experience sister relationship that I never got to. We’ll she got four little brothers instead (who are so amazing and beautiful), and now she’s ten and even if I got pregnant with a girl tomorrow they wouldn’t grow up together. That said, I’d love to experience a little girl again now that I feel I’m a veteran mom. Six is the absolute most we could have so I would get one more shot..we’ll see.

4. lara jane says

We have a 12 year old and when we (miraculously and unexpectedly) got pregnant again, I hoped for another boy. I am an AWESOME “boy mom” so I knew I could handle it. As time went by and we got closer to 20 weeks I changed my mind. I started to worry that a boy would mean “competition” to our older son, since it was going to be a HUGE adjustment already to go from being an only child to a big brother.

God knew what was best and gave us a girl. Henry is CRAZY about her (he calls her “my little girl”) and though I’m sure he would’ve been happy with a brother, we’re glad that he doesn’t seem threatened by this girl

5. celia says

I had one daughter and we had a big age gap 13 yrs to be precise, I soooo wanted a boy as I knew we was only going to have one more….. forward a couple of weeks and we found out it was twins….. my heart skipped a beat hopefully it will be 2 boys….. forward to the sexing scan and only one could be seen and it was a little girl, still they were healthy and maybe the other one will be a boy, my other half was like its defo a boy….. forward a few more weeks and I was going for the usual growth scan and the scanner said do you know what they are so we was like noooo we know one but not the other and she said yes thats 2 girls then…… I couldn’t help it I did cry quite a lot (I blame the hormones….lol) but I’m glad I finally knew and we were disappointed but hey ho we had 5 mths to look forward to our little ladies coming…… by the time I gave birth it was like we always wanted girls and I wouldn’t have it any other way now :)

6. Patricia Overvliet says

My husband and I have been married for 22 yrs this December, we have 3 beautiful boys aged 18, 16 and 11. Interspersed amongst our boys we educated outselves and I managed to become a medical doctor several years ago. We were done with babies, travel was on the agenda for this and next year, we even gave away all of our baby stuff finally last year. We unexpectedly found our selves pregnant again in feb and we have found out that it is a girl. Needless to say, at 41, I am shocked to be a new mother again, but so very humbled to be given such a gift of this nature. A girl, after all of these years, a true miracle!

7. LAH says

We had 3 boys in 2 years (I always wanted all boys). By the time I was pregnant with #4 I figured we couldnt make girls, but I was wrong! I was very concerned about having a.girl, they are sassy and difficult as teens, but our little girl came and she is just one of the boys, in fact she is tougher then all of them. We just had #5 a.few.weeks ago and we are back on the boy train (phew I think one girl is all I can handle)! ;) So we have 4 boys and 1 girl all under 6, its wild and crazy but fun!

8. Wormkaizer says

Never assume anything. :3 I thought I was going to be pregnant with a baby boy because everyone in my boyfriend’s family has had boys on both sides. When we went to our 21 week ultrasound…. Surprise surprise!! It’s a girl! First girl on his side in generations, so you just never know. lol Now we have to worried about how spoiled our little girl will be. :3 She’ll join our family late November~! So excited!

I hope you get your girl!

9. Patricia Overvliet says

Thank you Lara! Congratulations to you too. Our little girl will be joining us in late October.