I think it’s mandatory that all children love funfetti cake. My husband must be a kid at heart because funfetti is still his favorite “flavor” of cake. I decided to take a homemade funfetti cupcake recipe and turn them into super cute cupcakes appropriate for Christmas. These are really easy to make and your children will love helping you decorate them to make them look festive.
Ingredients for funfetti cupcakes (Makes 24 cupcakes)-
3 cups of flour
2 teaspoons of baking powder
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 and a half sticks of butter, cut into pieces, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 and 3/4 cups sugar
1 and 1/4 cups whole milk
4 eggs or 6 egg whites (your choice) depending on if you want a yellow or white cake. I did yellow
One small bottle of sprinkles in the colors of your choice
Baking the cake-
1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2) Line your cupcake tray with cupcake liners.
3) In a bowl, beat the butter and sugar.
4) Beat in the vanilla, eggs, and milk.
5) Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
6) Spoon your batter into the cupcake liners and bake for 18-20 minutes. I start watching them at around 16 minutes because different ovens vary. You want them to be a nice, golden brown color.
7) Allow your cupcakes to cool for 30 minutes once they are out of the oven so the frosting goes on nicely and doesn’t melt off. While they are cooling, make the frosting.
Cream cheese frosting ingredients-
1 cup of butter, softened
4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vanilla
Up to 4 tablespoons of milk
Making the frosting-
1) Mix everything together except the milk.
2) Pour in the milk one tablespoon of milk at a time until you have the desired consistency. *You want your frosting to be nice and fluffy.
4) Once you have made your frosting, use green food coloring to color the frosting.
5) Spoon your frosting into frosting bags with frosting tips on them or simple scoop the frosting in a small zip lock bag and cut off one of the edges like I did.
This is very easy to do and it works great!
6) Use your zip lock or frosting bags to easily frost your cupcakes. With some supervision, kids should easily be able to help with this.
Decorate your cupcakes anyway you’d like. I bought red sugar crystals to easily add some Christmas decor to my cupcakes. You could roll the edges of your cupcakes in this sugar, top them with red sprinkles, the possibilities are endless. The point is to have fun and get your kids involved! These cupcakes would make great Holiday gifts for neighbors or friends if there’s any left in your house.
Merry Christmas and have fun in the kitchen this holiday season!
- Cake ingredients-
- 3 cups flour.
- 2 teaspoons baking powder.
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt.
- 1 and a half sticks of butter, cut into pieces, at room temperature.
- 2 and ¾ cups sugar.
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla.
- 1 and ¼ cups whole milk.
- 4 eggs or 6 egg whites depending if you want a yellow or white cake. I did yellow.
- ⅓ cup of sprinkles in the colors of your choice.
- Frosting ingredients-
- 1 cup of butter, softened.
- 4 cups of powdered sugar, sifted.
- ¼ teaspoon salt.
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla.
- Up to 4 tablespoons of milk.
- Baking the cake-
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a cupcake tray with cupcake liners.
- In a bowl beat the butter and sugar.
- Add the vanilla, milk, and eggs.
- Mix in everything else until mixed well.
- Spoon your batter into the cupcake liners.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Frosting instructions-
- Mix everything together except the milk.
- Mix the milk in last, one tablespoon at a time until you reach the desired consistancy. You want the frosting to be light and fluffy.
- Use food coloring to turn your frosting green or other colors of choice.
- Let your cupcakes cool for 30 minutes.
- Frost cupcakes.
- Decorate cupcakes using sugar crystals or sprinkles.