Yesterday, we posted about the quiet Chapter 7 bankruptcy that Maclaren USA filed for two months ago that hardly anyone seemed to know about. I admitted that I was dumbfounded by the lack of publicity on such a gigantic baby stroller company filing for bankruptcy. Our post generated a lot of interest and comments. This is clearly huge news in the baby gear world that no one really talked about or basically even knew about!
Well, our post was immediately seen by Maclaren people less than 12 hours after posting it. (You can’t say people don’t pay attention to us! ) Since I know so many people are wondering what is going on with Maclaren – whether they are shutting down completely or if it was legal tactics or what the heck is happening – we have decided to post their response to us regarding the bankruptcy.
Here is what they said:
We are not going out of business. The Maclaren Group is still a fully operating organization. To clear the confusion, here are some facts that I hope will give clarity.
- American Baby Products, formerly known as Maclaren USA, was a third party distributor for Maclaren branded products in the US market.
- American Baby Products lost the rights to distribute Maclaren products, and the right to use the Maclaren name, in the Fall of 2010.
- American Baby Products filed for Chapter 7 in December, 2011.
- Maclaren, as a brand, changed its distribution strategy over the past years moving from third party distributors to distribution within the Maclaren group, allowing Maclaren to better ensure management of its products and its brand.
- Maclaren is one global company which controls its distribution, following a common trend within the retail industry.
- Today the Maclaren brand is unified worldwide. All 2012 products feature a single Global Safety Standard, which means that Maclaren buggys around the world will meet and exceed even the highest safety standards mandated anywhere in the world.
- Within its industry Maclaren, by far, has the most comprehensive and highest level of safety standards around the world.
So, there you go. That’s what we know so far.