Well, over the last few months of my dessert baking bonanza, one of the most popular questions I have received is “why the heck aren’t you 300+ lbs, Hollie?!?” While it is true, all the desserts I make are absolutely in-no-way lo-cal, I do want to let you in on a little secret. I’ve actually lost 10 lbs in the last couple months even with all the baking. While I have plenty more to lose to make me less squishy, I think 10 lbs isn’t too bad.
Here’s how I’ve done it so far:
1) Freeze it! While I love to bake, I don’t sit down and eat the whole pan of yumminess even though I totally want to! My husband and I each take a piece and if there aren’t others to share it with, I freeze the rest. That way, we can’t take out a piece at a time and I’m not sitting with a fork and the entire pan of brownies. (even though I would totally want to!)
2) Jillian Michaels. I love her and hate her all that the same time. Love that she makes me skinnier but hate that she makes me hurt. She is NO JOKE! I do the Jillian Michael’s 30-Day Shred every day! 7 days a week! It’s only 27 minutes from start to finish so it’s easy to fit into my busy day.
3) Smoothies. Now, this is the reason for the post. While I can’t confirm if it is the 30-Day Shred, the smoothies or both but I like to think these are helping. I got myself hooked on the Yoplait Smoothies (the ones from the freezer section!) back in February.
They put out coupons…I bought them…and never looked back. I have one fruit yogurt smoothie as my lunch every day. If it is my entire meal, I have the entire 2 serving smoothie which is about 220 calories. The Yoplait Smoothies were so easy and so deee-licious!
Problem is that Yoplait stopped putting out coupons! WHY!?!?! Why must companies hook you with their fancy coupons and when you are addicted – they yank them away never to been seen again. The reason I’m so upset about that is because those Yoplait Smoothie packs are expensive. We are talking $3-$4+ each. That’s too rich for my lifestyle to have one every day!
Being the crafty mom that I am, I decided to make my own! My smoothies now are just as yummy, so easy to make, only have three ingredients and cost me less than $1 to make. So much better than the Yoplait Smoothies!! Plus, since they are made with milk and yogurt, they are super filling so I have no problem having one as my lunch.
DIY Yoplait Smoothies
1 cup skim milk
1 cup frozen fruit
1 – 6oz container of yogurt (frozen)
I keep 6 oz containers of Yoplait Vanilla Yogurt in my freezer so that I’m always ready for smoothie making! I also buy the big economy-size of frozen berries at Costco to keep the frozen fruit cost down. You can also cut up and freeze your own fresh fruit or even use organic if you so desire.
1) Blend 1 cup skim milk, 1 cup frozen fruit and one 6oz frozen container of yogurt in a blender. (I run the yogurt container under warm water to loose it for easy removal from the package.) Cutting the yogurt into pieces makes the blending process faster. No need for ice because the yogurt and the fruit is already frozen acting as the ice.
2) Pour into a glass and enjoy. That is it. So yummy, so easy and so much cheaper than buying the Yoplait Smoothies.
If you have the entire smoothie, it is 270 calories give or take depending on what fruit you use.
1 cup skim milk = 90 calories
1 cup berries = 70 calories
1 Yoplait Light Vanilla 6oz = 110 calories
TOTAL = 270 calories
Not bad for an entire lunch plus it is healthy because it is just fruit, yogurt and milk.
So, that is how I’ve managed to bake as much as I do and still lose a little weight. If I would stop eating the brownies all together, I’m sure I’d lose more, but what fun would that be?!?
*Disclosure: This post was not written in cooperation with Yoplait. I actually wrote them and asked for more coupons and they ignored me. So I made my own. :)